11.3.10

How to get rid of a Demon and get a foot in the door.

Every third Thursday of the month the Minneapolis Institute of Arts puts on a party and this last February the MIA also decided to align the opening for their fourth foot in the door exhibition. Foot in the Door is an exhibition that happens every ten years and allows for any artist to show their work in the MIA as long as the piece is no larger than one square foot. This year there is 5,000 some local home grown works which creates a visual experience like nothing you've ever experienced.

I decided for my piece that I wanted something to stick out and with only a week to produce the piece, my choice of mediums were limited. I decided to use chalkboard spray on a panel and draw a demon with various ritualistic markings on its face. I then decided to chant mantras while hammering a bunch of nails into the piece to make the piece appear as if a voodoo doll and "stick out". The neighbors then came over and complained that our "party" was being to loud but somehow when they left we had managed to get a hold of their old Christmas tree to burn. The tree lit up rather fast (with the help of vodka soaked paper-bags) and I got the idea to throw my piece to the flames. I decided at the last minute to pull the piece out and throw it in the snow. The charred remains made for an excellent frame for the pictures of the demon being expunged.

When I was arriving to drop off my piece for the exhibition there was a number of artist's walking the other way telling me it was to late and that the officials were turning down artists despite the panels deadline being several hours later because there was just to many artists and not enough time to catalogue them all. Well I decided to talk to a security guard and ask where I might be able to sneak in and he told me exactly where I shouldn't try because he could lose his job. After I slipped into the right gallery wing I found a line that would take minimally two to three hours to crawl through and I had a yoga class in an hour which I had to make. In my frustration I decided to call my friend in the only place I had reception which was the doorway of the museum. As I was telling him I was unsure of what I was going to do an MAEP official was walking out of the building and took the piece right out of my hands and said "I can take this from you" and I was in.

The opening was an incredible event. We arrived early to avoid the crowd but the place was packed full of people anyways, however when we left there was an equally obnoxious line to enter the exhibition as there was to enter a piece in. There is just so much art to see from children's musings to professional masterpieces. Every time I've been I've noticed new things and have found hidden gems that hide in plain site. Also for this third thursday Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lappelles played an amazing set that really topped off the night. Unfortunately I did not bring my camera opening night but there are plenty of pictures on the MIA's website The show runs until June 13th but I would make sure to leave yourself plenty of room to visit a couple of times and see what strikes you next!

No comments: