30.3.10

Celestial Chaos


Celestial Lights was a live painting and galleria of nine incredible local artists with home grown music DJ sets and a laser light show all put on by Folklore Enterprises and CrackerJax productions up in the loft above Barfly. The party was booming with electronica, techno and dubstep pumping along with laser lights cutting through four fog machines. This extravaganza stimulated every sensory organ to create an out of this world experience.

For this show I was particularly enjoying the act of drip painting because there is less control in my hands and I can allow the universe to meet me half way. While studying in a Pureland Buddhist temple in Japan I truly learned that the self power (Jiriki) is weaker than that of other power (Tariki). I came from a very “headstrong” place and had thought that to surrender my own power was to “throw my power out” when actually surrender allowed for one to be more fully a part of their surroundings and expand ones power through faith and a willingness to let go, let go of attachments and the struggle for results. There is a similar saying in Zen that says we must know when to be strong and turn the dharma (all things) or allow ourselves to be weak and let the dharma carry us. With that being said, let go and give it up!


Thus for the show I painted a number of drip paintings as well create my own Japanese marble wa-shi paper in which I found form. I find it incredibly interesting that in chinese mythology the term "chaos" is often found to describe formless mass before creation. I also produced my 3rd edition dominoes for the show.

During the show "I" painted my 4th edition dominoes in which I had a number of people at the party also contribute by throwing butterflies to contribute to one larger butterfly and thus really emphasize the nature of the butterfly effect and that of Tariki or other power.


I also did a large ink painting which I had a number of party people collaborate on with me. I truly feel that even when "i" create a piece of art that I am not really the sole creator but an instrument for which others create their art through me so thank you to everyone who came out and contributed their expression, their energy and their art.




small: $10USD  Big $40USD


Come out to our next party May 22nd 2010 @ the loft above barfly!


Photos by Nick Patton
2nd Edition Dominoes
1st Edition Dominoes
Domino

No comments: